Professor. Mitsuyoshi Akiyama
B. Eng. in Civil Engineering, Tohoku University, 1995
M. Eng. in Civil Engineering, Tohoku University, 1997
Dr. Eng. in Civil Engineering, Tohoku University, 2001
1997 Apr., Bridge Engineer at Nippon Koei Co., Ltd.
1998 Apr., Research Associate at Tohoku University
2001 May, Assistant Professor at Tohoku University
2004 Apr., Associate Professor at Tohoku University
2008 Oct. to 2009 Sep., Visiting Scholar at Lehigh University
2011 Apr. to Present, Professor at Waseda University
Safety and Reliability in Structural Engineering
Seismic Design Methodology of Concrete Structures
Deterioration Modeling of Materials and Structures
-Member of Professional Association-
Japan Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering (JAEE)
International Association for Life-Cycle Civil Engineering as Member of Executive Committee (IALCCE)
International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety as Member of Executive Committee (IABMAS)
International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE)
Japan Concrete Institute (JCI)
-Scientific Community Service Activities-
- Associate Editor of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering,Taylor & Francis, UK
- Associate Editor of the ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering
- Editorial Board Member of Structural Safety and International Journal of Earthquake and Impact Engineering
- Member of Task Group 2 in SEI-ASCE Technical Council on Life-Cycle Performance, Safety, Reliability and Risk of Structural Systems
- MC observer of COST Action TU 1406 in representation of Asia
- Member of IASSAR Technical Committees of TC4: Life-Cycle Performance, Cost and Optimization
- Member of fib TG5.14 Life Cycle Cost (LCC) - Design life and/or replacement cycle
- Co-Chair of Symposium 2014 on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE2014)
- JSCE Yoshida Award, 1999
- JCI Award for Engineering Development, 2001
- JSCE Yoshida Award, 2007
- JSCE Encouragement Award for Outstanding Thesis, 2007
- The Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, 2008.
- JSCE Yoshida Award, 2010
- IABMAS (International Association of Bridge Maintenance and Safety) Junior Research Prize (2016)
- Lim, S., Raju, R.A., Matsuda, M., Okamoto, T. and Akiyama, M., 2018. Structural behavior prediction of SFRC beams by a novel integrated approach of X-ray imaging and finite element method, Construction and Building Materials, 170, 347-365.
- Akiyama, M., Frangopol, D.M. and Takenaka, K. 2017. Reliability-based durability design and service life assessment of reinforced concrete deck slab of jetty structures, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 13(4), 468-477.
- Lim, S., Akiyama, M., Frangopol, D.M. and Jiang, H. 2017. Experimental investigation of the spatial variability of the steel weight loss and corrosion cracking of RC members: Novel X-ray and digital image processing techniques, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 13(1), 118-134.
- Lim, S., Akiyama, M. and Frangopol, D.M. 2016. Assessment of the structural performance of corrosion-affected RC members based on experimental study and probabilistic modeling, Engineering Structures, 127, 189-205.
- Akiyama, M., Takahashi, Y., Hata, Y. and Honda, R., 2016. Lessons from the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake based on field investigations of damage to bridges, International Journal of Earthquake and Impact Engineering. (accepted)
- Yanweerasak, T., Akiyama, M. and Frangopol, D.M. 2016. Updating the seismic reliability of existing RC structures in a marine environment by incorporating the spatial steel corrosion distribution: application to bridge piers, Journal of Bridge Engineering, 21(7), 04016031-1-17.
- Akiyama, M., Frangopol, D.M. and Mizuno, K. 2014. Performance analysis of Tohoku-Shinkansen viaducts affected by the 2011 Great East Japan earthquake, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 10(9), 1228-1247.
- Akiyama, M. and Frangopol, D.M. 2014. Long-term seismic performance of RC structures in an aggressive environment: emphasis on bridge piers, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 10(7), 865-879.
- Akiyama, M., Frangopol, D.M., Arai, M. and Koshimura, S., 2013. Reliability of bridges under tsunami hazards: Emphasis on the 2011 Tohoku-Oki Earthquake, Earthquake Spectra, 29(S1), S295-S314.
- Akiyama, M., Frangopol, D.M. and Matsuzaki, H., 2011. Life-cycle reliability of RC bridge piers under seismic and airborne chloride hazards.Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 40(15), 1671-1687.
- Akiyama, M., Suzuki, M. and Frangopol, D.M., 2010. Stress-averaged strain model for confined high-strength concrete. ACI Structural Journal, 107(2), 179-188.
- Akiyama, M., Frangopol, D.M. and Yoshida, I., 2010. Time-dependent reliability analysis of existing RC structures in a marine environment using hazard associated with airborne chlorides. Engineering Structures, 32(11), 3768-3779.
- Akiyama, M., Frangopol, D.M. and Suzuki, M., 2012. Integration of the effects of airborne chlorides into reliability-based durability design of reinforced concrete structures in a marine environment. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 8(2), 125-134.
- Akiyama, M., Abe, S., Aoki, N. and Suzuki, M., 2012. Flexural test of precast high-strength reinforced concrete pile prestressed with unbonded bars arranged at the center of the cross-section. Engineering Structures, 34(1), 259-270.
- Akiyama, M., Matsuzaki, H., Dan, H.T. and Suzuki, M. 2012. Reliability-based capacity design for reinforced concrete bridge structures. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 8(12), 1096-1107.
- Naito, H., Akiyama, M. and Suzuki, M., 2011. Ductility evaluation of concrete-encased steel bridge piers subjected to lateral cyclic loading, Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 16(1), 72-81.
-Selected Book Chapters-
- Akiyama, M., Frangopol, D.M. and Matsuzaki, H. Reliability-based durability design and service life assessment of concrete structures in an aggressive environment. Chapter 1 in Maintenance and Safety of Aging Infrastructure (Edited by D.M. Frangopol and Y. Tsompanakis), CRC Press/Balkema, Taylor & Francis Group, London, 2014, pp. 1-26.
- Frangopol, D.M. and Akiyama, M. Lifetime seismic reliability analysis of corroded reinforced concrete bridge piers. Chapter 23 in Computational Methods in Earthquake Engineering (Edited by M. Papadrakakis, M Fragiadakis, and N. D. Lagaros), Springer, Dordrecht-Heidelberg-London-New York, 2011, pp. 527-537.
- Akiyama, M., 2016: Long term performance of concrete bridges under multiple hazards. TU1406 COST Action Workshop, Delft, the Netherlands. (keynote Lecture)
- Akiyama, M. and Frangopol, D.M., 2016. Probabilistic approach for road network retrofitting prioritization under seismic and tsunami hazards. Proceedings of 5th International Symposium on Reliability Engineering and Risk Management (ISRERM2016), Seoul, Korea. (Keynote Lecture)
- Fragnopol, D.M. and Akiyama, M., 2016. Reliability of aging structures under multiple hazards: Emphasis on highway bridges under earthquake and tsunami. The International Workshop on Engineering Reliability and Stochastic Mechanics (IWERSM2016), Shanghai, China. (Keynote Lecture)
- Akiyama, M., 2016. Reliability-based assessment of structures for extreme events. IABSE Summit 2016, Helsinki, Finland. (Keynote Lecture)
- Akiyama, M. and Frangopol, D.M., 2014. Long term performance of concrete bridges under extreme events. Proceedings of 9th Austroads Bridge Conference, Sydney, New South Wales, Autralia. (Invited Lecture)
- Frangopol, D.M. and Akiyama, M., 2014. Bridge life-cycle performance and lessons from infrastructure failures due to the 2011 Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami, Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Infrastructure Failures and Consequence, Melbourne, Australia. (Keynote Lecture)
- Akiyama, M. and Frangopol, D.M., 2013. Life-cycle reliability of concrete bridges under both extreme events and hazard associated with continuous deterioration, IStructE Conference on Structural Engineering in Hazard Mitigation 2013, Shanghai, China. (Invited Lecture)
- Akiyama, M. and Frangopol, D.M., 2013. Life-cycle design of bridges under multiple hazards: Earthquake, tsunami and continuous deterioration, 11th ICOSSAR (International Conference of Structural Safety and Reliability), New York, USA. (Early Career Keynote Lecture)
- Akiyama, M. and Frangopol, D.M., 2012. Lessons from the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake: Emphasis on life-cycle structural performance, IALCCE (International Symposium on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering), Vienna, Austria. (Keynote Lecture)
- Akiyama, M. and Frangopol, D.M., 2010. On life-cycle reliability under earthquake excitations of corroded structures. IALCCE (International Symposium on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering) 2010, Taipei, Taiwan. (Keynote Lecture)