29 March 2019
Professor of Law, Waseda University, Law School (since 2004)
Counsel for Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu (since 2004)
Professor Emeritus, University of Tokyo (since 2016)
Director, Chief Arbitration and Mediation Officer (since 2018)
Nagashima, Ohno & Tsunematsu
JP Tower, 2-7-2 Marunouchi, Chiyoda, Tokyo 100-7036 Japan
Born on 18 December 1955 in Okayama, Japan.
Academic Record and Professional Career:
1978: - B.A., University of Tokyo, Faculty of Law
1978-1981: - Research Assistant, University of Tokyo, Faculty of Law
1982(-1984): - Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Headquarters of Law of the Sea
1983-1984: - Research Assistant, Meiji University, Faculty of Law
1984-1991: - Associate Professor of Law, University of Tokyo, College of Arts and Sciences
(1987-1988): - Visiting Scholar, University of Michigan, Law School
(1988-1989): - Visiting Scholar, Columbia University, School of Law
1991-1996: - Associate Professor of Law, University of Tokyo, Faculty of Law, teaching International Civil Procedure and International Trade Law
1996-2004: - Professor of Law, University of Tokyo, Faculty of Law, teaching International Civil Procedure and International Trade Law
2004-2005: - Specially Appointed Professor of Law, Waseda University, Law School.
2004-2008: - Specially Appointed Professor, University of Tokyo, 21st Century Center of Excellence Program on Soft Law.
2004-: - Special Counsel for Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu.(since 2011, Senior Counsel)
2005-: - Professor of Law, Waseda University, Law School, teaching Private International Law, International Civil Procedure and International Trade Law.
- Conflict of Laws (Private International Law)
- International Civil Procedure
- International Trade Law
- Member of Council, Japanese Association of International Law, since 1997;
- Member of Council, Private International Law Association of Japan, since 1999, President, since 2014;
- Member of Council, International Law Association, Japan Branch, since 2001, Vice-President, since 2014;
- Member of Council, Japan Association of International Economic Law, since 2001 until 2013
- Member, Science Council of Japan, since 2011;
- Chief Executive Officer, Japan Sports Arbitration Agency, since 2003 until 2015
- Chief Executive Officer, Japan ADR Association, since 2000 until 2014.
- Member of the Delegation of the Japanese Government to the Hague Conference on Private International Law on Jurisdiction and Foreign Judgments Project, since 1994 until 2005 [One of the co-reporters of the Convention of 30 June 2005 on Choice of Court Agreements];
- Member of the International Expert Group on Nuclear Liability (INLEX) of the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency), since 2003 until 2013;
- Member of Legislative Council on Private International Law, Ministry of Justice, since 1985 until 2015;
Topics of the Books and Articles in Japanese:
- conflict of laws in general;
- choice of law problems in various areas;
- international civil procedure, especially jurisdiction and recognition/enforcement of foreign judgments;
- international commercial arbitration;
- international insolvencies;
- regulations on activities of foreigners in Japan;
- extraterritorial jurisdiction;
- law on GATT and WTO;
- sport law.
Articles in English:
- “Conflict of Laws on Admiralty and Shipping Laws in Japan”, Japanese Annual of International Law, No.30, pp.1-17(1987);
- “International Trade in Services from the Japanese Viewpoint”, Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law, Vol.19, No.2, pp.425-441(1989);
- “Trans-frontier Nuclear Civil Liability Without International Conventions”, Nuclear Inter Jura '91 (1991);
- “The Amendment of the Vienna Convention: Its Procedural Aspect”, Symposium on Nuclear Accidents: Liabilities and Guarantees (Conference paper)(1992);
- “Globalization of Dispute Settlement Involving Japanese Companies”, in H.ODA ed., JAPANESE COMMERCIAL LAW: IN AN ERA OF INTERNATIONALIZATION, pp.237-247 (1994, Graham & Trotman Limited);
- “Concurrent Litigations in Japan and the United States”, Japanese Annual of International Law, No.34, pp.72-94(1994);
- “Japan”, in J. FAWCETT ed., DECLINING JURISDICTION IN PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL LAW, pp.303-319 (1995, Clarendon Press);
- “Draft Articles on the Law Applicable to Contractual and Non-Contractual Obligations (1) and (2)”, Japanese Annual of International Law, No.39, pp.185-216(1995), No.40, pp.57-79 1996) (co-author);
- “The Structural Impediments Initiatives: A Model for Dealing with International Economic Frictions”, in M.YOUNG and Y.IWASAWA eds., TRILATERAL PERSPECTIVES ON INTERNATIONAL LEGAL ISSUES: RELEVANCE OF DOMESTIC LAW & POLICY, pp.249-262 (1996, Transnational Publishers, Inc.);
- “Law Applicable to Torts and Copyright Infringement Through the Internet”, JURGEN BASEDOW and TOSHIYUKI KONO eds., LEGAL ASPECTS OF GLOBALIZATION: CONFLICT OF LAWS, INTERNET, CAPITAL MARKETS AND INSOLVENCY IN A GLOBAL ECONOMY, pp.49-65 (2000, Kluwer Law International);
- “Jurisdiction over Foreign Patent Infringement from a Japanese Perspective in Consideration of the Hague Draft Convention on Jurisdiction and Foreign judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters as of June 2002”, Japanese Annual of International Law, No.44, pp.35-59 (2001);
- “The Hague Draft Convention on Jurisdiction and Foreign Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters from a Japanese Perspective”, Japanese Journal of Private International Law, No.3, pp.80-118 (2001);
- “Judicial Jurisdiction in the Era of E-commerce”, TOSHIYUKI KONO, CHRISTOPH G. PAULUS and HARRY RAJAK eds., SELECTED LEGAL ISSUES OF E-COMMERCE, pp.127-144 (2002, Kluwer Law International);
- “The Activities of the Japanese Sports Arbitration Agency”, International Sports Law Journal, 2005-1/2, pp.3-7 (2005);
- “Four-Step Analysis of Private International Law”, Recueil des cours, Vol. 315 pp.9-140 (2005);
- “Explanatory Report on the Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements”(with Professor Trevor Hartley)(2007);
- “New Private International Law of Japan: An Overview”, Japanese Annual of International Law, No.50, pp.3-14 (2007);
- “Historical Development and Fundamental Principles of Japanese Private International Law” in JUERGEN BASEDOW/ HARALD BAUM/ YUKO NISHITANI eds., JAPANESE AND EUROPEAN PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL LAW IN COMPARATIVE PERSPECTIVE, pp.27-60 (2008, Mohr Siebeck);
- “Forthcoming Rules on International Jurisdiction”, Japanese Journal of Private International Law, No.12, pp.212-224 (2011);
- “New Japanese Rules on International Jurisdiction: General Observation”, Japanese Yearbook of International Law, Vol.54, pp260-277 (2011).
Article in German:
- “Parallele Verfahren in Japan und den USA”, in A.HELDRICH und T.KONO eds.,HERAUSFORDERUNGEN DES INTERNATIONALEN ZIVILVERFAHRENSRECHTS, pp.163-184(1994, J.C.B.Mohr).
Article in French:
- “Note concernant la nouvelle loi Japonaise sur la nationalite”, Revue critique de droit international prive, tome 75, pp.579-588(1986).
Lectures and Presentations in English:
- “International Trade in Services from the Japanese Viewpoint”, Conference: Prospects for Multilateral Agreement on Services and Intellectual Property in the GATT Multilateral trade Negotiations, April, 1989 (Georgia University, U.S.);
- “Trans-frontier Nuclear Civil Liability Without International Conventions”, International Nuclear Law Association, 24 September 1991, Bath, U.K.;
- “The Globalization of Japanese Corporations: Problems of Dispute Settlement Involving Japanese Companies”, The Fourth Conference on Japanese Law, 5 November 1991, University College London, U.K;
- “The Amendment of the Vienna Convention: Its Procedural Aspect”, Symposium on Nuclear Accidents --- Liabilities and Guarantees, 2 September 1992, Helsinki, Finland;
- “The Concurrent Litigations in Japan and the United States”, Japan-Germany-Switzerland Joint Symposium on International Civil Procedure, 13 October 1993, Fukuoka, Japan;
- “The Structural Impediments Initiatives: A Model for Dealing with International Economic Friction”, Trilateral Symposium on International Law, 27 July 1994, Tokyo, Japan;
- “Law Applicable to Torts and Copyright Infringement through the Internet”, Japan-German Join Symposium, 28 March 1999, Fukuoka, Japan;
- “Jurisdiction in International Electronic Commerce”, Korean Society of Private International Law, International Symposium, 20 November 1999, Seoul, Korea;
- “Recent Developments of International Commercial Arbitration in Japan”, International Law Association First Asian-Pacific Regional Conference, 28 May 1995, Taipei, R.O.C.;
- “Respect for the Act of Foreign State: The Validity of Foreign Patents”, ILPF (Internet Law & Policy Forum) Symposium, 11-12 September 2000, San Francisco;
- “Private International Law on Intellectual Property: A Civil Law Overview”, WIPO Forum on Private International Law and Intellectual Property, 30-31 January 2001, Geneva;
- “Private International Law Aspects of the 1996 WIPO Treaties”, WIPO Asian Regional Symposium on the WIPO Copyright Treaty and the WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty and Their Impact on the Copyright Industries, 27-29 March 2001, Guangzhou, China;
- “The Hague Draft Convention from the Perspective of Japan”, Union Internationale des Avocats (International Association of Lawyers), Seminar on the Draft Convention on Jurisdiction and Foreign Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters, 20-21 April 2001, Edinburgh;
- “The Internet Transactions and the Choice of Law: International Securities Transactions through Intermediaries”, International Symposium on the Hague Securities Convention, 12 October 2004, Tokyo, Japan;
- “Four-Step Analysis of Private International Law”, The Hague Academy of International Law, 18-22 July 2005, The Hague, Netherlands;
- “The Gist of the Hague Choice of Court Convention” and “Application of the 1965 Service Convention in Japan” The 3rd Asia Pacific Regional Conference of the Hague Conference on Private International Law, 24 September 2008, Langham Place Hotel, Hong Kong;
- “Historical Development and Fundamental Principles of Japanese Private International Law”, Symposium on Japanese and European Private International Law in Comparative Perspective, 1 March 2007, Max-Planck Institute, Hamburg;
- “New Japanese Rules on International Jurisdiction”, KB21 Seminar “Current Rules and Legal Issues on International Jurisdiction in Japan and Korea”, 25 February 2010, Seoul, Korea.
- “Presentation on the 2005 Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements”, Conference on International Litigation in the Asia Pacific Region, 23 September 2013, Wuhan, China.