last updated: 15th January, 2018.
Tetsuya Sakai is a professor and head of department at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Waseda University, Japan. He is also a visiting professor at the National Institute of Informatics. He joined Toshiba in 1993. He obtained a Ph.D from Waseda in 2000. From 2000 to 2001, he was supervised by the late Karen Sparck Jones at the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, as a visiting researcher. In 2007, he joined NewsWatch, Inc. as the director of the Natural Language Processing Lab. In 2009, he joined Microsoft Research Asia. He joined the Waseda faculty in 2013. He was Associate Dean (IT Strategies Division) from 2015 to 2017. He is an editor-in-chief of the Information Retrieval Journal (Springer) and an associate editor of ACM TOIS.
- ACM Recognition of Service Award (SIGIR'17 Co-chair)
- MobileHCI 2014 Honorable Mention (second author)
- CSS 2014 Student Paper Award (third author)
- ACM SIGIR 2013 Best Paper Shortlisted Nominee (first author)
- AIRS 2012 Best Paper Award (first author)
- WebDB Forum 2010 Excellent Paper Award and NTT Resonant Award (second author)
- FIT 2008 Funai Best Paper Award (first author)
- IPSJ 2007 Best Paper Award (single author)
- IEICE ESS 2007 Merit Award
- IPSJ 2006 Best Paper Award (single author)
- IPSJ 2006 Yamashita SIG Research Award (single author)
- FIT 2005 Excellent Paper Award (single author)
INVITED TALKS WITHOUT PAPERS
- Sakai. T.: Information Access Evaluation: Some Recent Topics, iDB Workshop 2009, July 2009.
- Sakai, T.: Towards Evaluating Exploratory Search, FIRE 2008, December 2008.
- Sakai, T. and Kando, N.: Why All of You Should Attend NTCIR-7 Next Week, FIRE 2008, December 2008.
- Sakai, T.: Evaluation: From Traditional Search to Exploratory Search (keynote), ECIR 2008 Workshop on Novel Methodologies for Evaluation in Information Retrieval, March 2008.
- Sakai, T.: How to Evaluate Information Retrieval: Why is it Receiving Attention Now? (keynote), The Twelfth Australasian Document Computing Symposium (ADCS 2007), December 2007.
CURRENT ACTIVITIES IN ACADEMIC SOCIETIES
- îñwï²¸¤^cÏõï (2017-)
- NTCIR general chair
- Information Retrieval (Springer) editor-in-chief (Asia and Australasia)
- AIRS steering committee advisor
- NTCIR Short Text Conversation task organiser
- NTCIR We Want Web task organizer
PAST ACTIVITIES IN ACADEMIC SOCIETIES
- ACM SIGIR 2017 General Co-chair
- ISITA 2016 Co-secretary
- SPIRE 2016 PC Co-chair
- TREC Temporal Summarisation track coordinator
- IIiX 2014 Area Chair
- ACM SIGIR 2013 PC co-chair
- OAIR (RIAO) 2013 PC co-chair
- EVIA 2007, 2008, 2010 PC co-chair
- AIRS 2009 general co-chair
- SIGIR 2009 Workshop on The Future of IR Evaluation co-organiser
- NTCIR ACLIA, CQA, GeoTime, INTENT, 1CLICK, MobileClick task organizer
- NTCIR-11, -12, -13 general co-chair
- NTCIR-9, -10 programme co-chair
- NTCIR-6, -7 information logistics chair
- Information Processing and Management, editorial board
- IPSJ TOD co-editor-in-chief, editorial board
- IPSJ SIG-FI/IFAT chair, secretary, committee member
- IPSJ Journal editorial board
- IPSJ Magazine editorial committee FWG
- IEICE ESS director, news letter
- The Journal of the IEICE editorial committee WG-A
- Senior PC/Area Chair: AIRS, CIKM, RIAO, SIGIR, etc.
- PC member: ACL, CLEF, ECIR, EMNLP, IJCNLP, ICTIR, SPIRE, WWW, etc.