last updated: 4th March 2016.
Tetsuya Sakai is a professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Waseda University, Japan. He is also an Associate Dean at the IT Strategies Division of Waseda, and a visiting professor at National Institute of Informatics. He joined Toshiba in 1993. He obtained a Ph.D from Waseda in 2000. From 2000 to 2001, he was supervised by the late Karen Sparck Jones at the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge. In 2007, he joined a startup as the director of the Natural Language Processing Lab. In 2009, he joined Microsoft Research Asia. He joined the Waseda faculty in 2013. He is an editor-in-chief of the Information Retrieval Journal (Springer), an associate editor of ACM TOIS. He is a general co-chair of NTCIR. He is also a general co-chair of ACM SIGIR 2017.
- MobileHCI 2014 Honorable Mention (second author)
- CSS 2014 Student Paper Award (third author)
- ACM SIGIR 2013 Best Paper Shortlisted Nominee (first author)
- AIRS 2012 Best Paper Award (first author)
- WebDB Forum 2010 Excellent Paper Award and NTT Resonant Award (second author)
- FIT 2008 Funai Best Paper Award (first author)
- IPSJ 2007 Best Paper Award (single author)
- IEICE ESS 2007 Merit Award
- IPSJ 2006 Best Paper Award (single author)
- IPSJ 2006 Yamashita SIG Research Award (single author)
- FIT 2005 Excellent Paper Award (single author)
INVITED TALKS WITHOUT PAPERS
- Sakai. T.: Information Access Evaluation: Some Recent Topics, iDB Workshop 2009, July 2009.
- Sakai, T.: Towards Evaluating Exploratory Search, FIRE 2008, December 2008.
- Sakai, T. and Kando, N.: Why All of You Should Attend NTCIR-7 Next Week, FIRE 2008, December 2008.
- Sakai, T.: Evaluation: From Traditional Search to Exploratory Search (keynote), ECIR 2008 Workshop on Novel Methodologies for Evaluation in Information Retrieval, March 2008.
- Sakai, T.: How to Evaluate Information Retrieval: Why is it Receiving Attention Now? (keynote), The Twelfth Australasian Document Computing Symposium (ADCS 2007), December 2007.
CURRENT ACTIVITIES IN ACADEMIC SOCIETIES
- NTCIR general chair
- Information Retrieval (Springer) editor-in-chief (Asia and Australasia)
- AIRS steering committee advisor
- NTCIR Short Text Conversation task organiser
- NTCIR MobileClick task organizer
- ACM SIGIR 2017 General Co-chair
- ISITA 2016 Co-secretary
- SPIRE 2016 PC Co-chair
PAST ACTIVITIES IN ACADEMIC SOCIETIES
- TREC Temporal Summarisation track coordinator
- IIiX 2014 Area Chair
- ACM SIGIR 2013 PC co-chair
- OAIR (RIAO) 2013 PC co-chair
- EVIA 2007, 2008, 2010 PC co-chair
- AIRS 2009 general co-chair
- SIGIR 2009 Workshop on The Future of IR Evaluation co-organiser
- NTCIR ACLIA, CQA, GeoTime, INTENT, 1CLICK task organizer
- NTCIR-6, -7 information logistics chair
- Information Processing and Management, editorial board
- IPSJ TOD co-editor-in-chief, editorial board
- IPSJ SIG-FI/IFAT chair, secretary, committee member
- IPSJ Journal editorial board
- IPSJ Magazine editorial committee FWG
- IEICE ESS director, news letter
- The Journal of the IEICE editorial committee WG-A
- Senior PC/Area Chair: AIRS, CIKM, RIAO, SIGIR, etc.
- PC member: ACL, CLEF, ECIR, EMNLP, IJCNLP, ICTIR, SPIRE, WWW, etc.